timerfd question

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Nov 11 22:52:48 GMT 2021

This question is almost certainly too vague to be answerable, but I'll try
anyway.  Is there any obvious reason that it's bad to have two timers running
simultaneously, one using timerfd (started via timerfd_settime) and one using a
POSIX timer (started via timer_settime)?

Here's the context: Emacs runs timers.  Until recently it used timerfd if
available, and otherwise a POSIX timer.  After a recent change, it starts both
kinds of timers.  This causes a severe slowdown on Cygwin
(https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=51734#32).  The easiest thing is
just to disable that change on Cygwin, but I'd feel better understanding why
this is a problem.

Ken