cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Sep 17 11:16:03 GMT 2021

On 9/17/2021 4:31 AM, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 22:25:33 -0400
> Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 9/16/2021 4:01 PM, Takashi Yano wrote:

>>> I cannot reproduce that.
>>> Proberbly 'strace -o mintty.log mintty' may help to find
>>> what is wrong.
>>
>> This is getting stranger and stranger.  When I try to run strace, I get a pop-up
>> complaining that libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll was not found.
>>
>> I'll have to try to sort it out tomorrow.
>
> 32bit mintty seems to require only the following files.
>
> bash.exe
> cyggcc_s-1.dll
> cygiconv-2.dll
> cygintl-8.dll
> cygncursesw-10.dll
> cygreadline7.dll
> cygwin1.dll
> cygwin-console-helper.exe
> mintty.exe
>
> None of them depends on libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll.
>
> What happes if you put them into a new directory and run
> mintty in it?
>
> 'strace mintty' also should work with these minimum files.

Sorry, I was unclear.  The pop-up wasn't saying that mintty needs
libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll; it was saying that strace needs it.  Even 'strace -h'
causes that pop-up to appear.  In order to get strace to run, I have to copy
libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll and libwinpthread-1.dll to my CWD.  Then I run strace on
mintty and it starts up instantly, and the strace output shows both of those
libs being loaded.

One other thing I should mention is that for my testing, I did a complete
install of the cygwin package (as produced by cygport), not just cygwin1.dll.
My cygport file is attached.

I have a feeling that something is wrong with my 32-bit installation, perhaps as
a result of prior testing.  I'm going to start fresh with a new 32-bit
installation and see what happens.

Ken