Compiling a windows.exe against cygwin1.dll ?

Wim Van Oudenhove wim.van.oudenhove@philips.com
Fri Oct 22 17:51:00 GMT 2004

I've made an executable windows program which some people want to run under
cygwin (myself included).

The problem is that the first parameter to the program is the name of a file,
which is expected by windows to be something like c:\dir\file.txt

Two problems:

- it doesn't take /cygdrive/c/dir/file.txt
- it doesn't take a symbolic link generated by cygwin's ln -s command.

Is there something I can 'borrow' from cygwin1.dll or some other dll to make my
program support these two cases ?
(The program is a command line tool written using visual C++)

Extra:

- is there something I can do to detect that my program has been started from a
cygwin prompt/screen.

Thanks in advance,

Wim.