Why are Windows paths broken in make 3.81?

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Mon Jul 24 20:50:00 GMT 2006

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:30:22PM +0100, Mark Fisher wrote:
>> this forum (i hope) was never meant as a personal sarcasm area and to
>> read it it's very annoying.
>>
>> if you don't have something constructive to say, lay off laying into
>> people.
>
> [snip]
> Here's the bottom line: If you want results then behave in a way that is
> likely to get them.  Use complete sentences.  Provide details when you
> report problems.  Don't send long boring messages asserting why you need
> things and don't express outrage that the free stuff you've been using
> doesn't work the way you want it to.  Listen to advice and respond to it
> directly.  Call the project/product by its correct name (don't call it
> "CygWin" or "Cyg").  Don't assume that people understand your mindset,
> use acronyms which are not widely known, or talk about packages as if
> everyone in the world uses them.  Don't complain that you have no time
> to provide details and expect that there will be someone with time to
> track things down for you.

IOW, read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html like we
told you to. If you post something that indicates failure to have done
so, then expect us to respond accordingly. We warned you. It's not our
fault you can't read the directions. :-)

Until posting to the list requires people to pass an etiquette test (not
a bad idea IMHO), the best we can do is try to beat people over the head
with pointers and hope they read them. Having done that, I at least
don't have a lot of sympathy for people that can't read and follow
directions, and while I might not personally choose to respond in the
manner cgf seems to be choosing lately, I totally understand why he does.

Of course, the wonderful irony is that people who have *not* read the
above have also missed the part where the same guidelines tell them
exactly what to expect for failure to read and obey said guidelines. :-)

--
Matthew
Warning: This message has not been approved by the FDA.