Maybe this is old news but...

Danilo Turina danilo.turina@alcatel.it
Thu Dec 14 08:08:00 GMT 2006

George wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 02:22:29PM +0100, Danilo Turina wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> ...I just saw this:
>>>
>>> http://learn.to/quote/
>>>
>>> IMO, the use of the "to" domain is cute and the web page itself is
>>> nicely done.
>>>
>> Anyway, IMHO, writing after the quote is not always the best way to go.
>> That is, it's the best way to go if the reader is reading only the last
>> mail of the thread and wants to know all the context of the discussion,
>> but if one, as I usually do, reads a thread starting from the first
>> post, it's a bit awful, since you have something like this:
>>
>> When you read a post that is around level 5/6 you must skip a lot of
>> text that you have already read in the previous posts and, of course,
>> the text you are interested in (i.e. the reply of the sender of the
>> post) is not immediately visibile when you open the post (you must
>> scroll down and skip the above text before reaching it).

[snip]

> A mailing list may have many many thousands of actively subscribed
> readers, to say nothing of the countless numbers who may read and
> re-read (often well after the fact) bits and pieces of the archived
> content reproduced or otherwise made available somewhere on the web.
> The use of accepted standards and adoption of long-held conventions is
> what gives the list its value by providing a consistent and accessible
> format to everyone.  And like all forms of communication, presentation
> and context is everything.

I agree.

> That you find it convenient to disregard any of those conventions
> (top-posting and/or not trimming quoted material are just two possible
> examples) I consider somewhere between ignorant and selfish.  Reading a
> But It Works For Me justification is like listening to someone who
> litters or doesn't clean up after his dog explain that it was easier not
> to bother, and that no one is going to notice or be affected.

I agree with you.

Anyway it's not what I wrote.

I simply said that, in some cases, "bottom posting" is not so good and I
made an example to explain my point of view.

Notice also that I have written my reply at the bottom of the quoted text.

[snip]

> An alternative, of course, is learn to use your email client.  Or get a
> better one, and learn to use it, instead.  I'd suggest using mutt.  Even
> better, try mutt and use the display_filter directive to hide all quoted
> text, and see how many minutes pass before you realise you don't
> understand WTF anyone is talking about.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway I think that, for the moment, I'll be
stick on my current tools.

Thank you for your kind and calm reply,

		Danilo