bug w/ 'tar' implementation

Randall R Schulz rschulz@sonic.net
Wed May 7 18:04:00 GMT 2003

Chris,

At 10:33 2003-05-07, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:27:57AM -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> >Most Cygwin apps don't tolerate Windows path names (exceptions exist).
> >Use the provided "cygpath" command to translate between the various
> >path name syntaxes of Cygwin (POSIX) and Windows.
>
>True, but this isn't even that issue, however.  "man tar" is informative
>on how tar treats the files with colons which are arguments to -f or
>--file.

Man tar? I have all of Cygwin installed, but there's no man page for "tar."

But then, "tar --help" produces 132 lines of help text. The only thing
it says about arguments that contain colons is this:

       --force-local              archive file is local even if has a colon

Is my installation damaged in missing the man page for tar?

I did, with much stumbling, find the answer in the info entry for tar.
Since I wish to spare people the agony of using info (please, no
remarks about this--it's just my opinion: "I don't need another
stinkin' hyperlinked information viewer!"), here it is:

-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    If the archive file name includes a colon (`:'), then it is assumed
to be a file on another machine.  If the archive file is
`USER@HOST:FILE', then FILE is used on the host HOST.  The remote host
is accessed using the `rsh' program, with a username of USER.  If the
username is omitted (along with the `@' sign), then your user name will
be used.  (This is the normal `rsh' behavior.)  It is necessary for the
remote machine, in addition to permitting your `rsh' access, to have
the `/usr/ucb/rmt' program installed.  If you need to use a file whose
name includes a colon, then the remote tape drive behavior can be
inhibited by using the `--force-local' option.

>cgf

Randall Schulz