nfs-server re-exporting mapped network drives

Smith, Gene gene.smith@siemens.com
Sat Mar 13 02:24:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>> Event Type:     Error
>> Event Source:   nfsd
>> Event Category: None
>> Event ID:       0
>> Date:           3/12/2004
>> Time:           2:07:26 PM
>> User:           SEA\SMITED
>> Computer:       04J005
>> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( nfsd ) cannot be found.
>> The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
>> message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
>> following information is part of the event: nfsd : PID 2320 : starting
>> service `m' failed: redirect_fd: open (1, /var/log/nfsd.log): 13,
>> Permission denied.
>

> Hmm, this one should be pretty obvious -- a "chmod a+w /var/log/nfsd.log"
> should fix this right up.
>     Igor

You are right! That fixed it. There was already a "w" for the user
"SYSTEM" but not on group and other. Guess that's what it needs. This
fact should definitely be added to the readme or changed in the default
install. I changed it on all three nfs related log files for good measure.

I also noticed that nfs-server-config script did not work quite right
the second time you ran it. It would not reload the daemons but complain
they were already installed. I fixed that my rearranging the order of
things. Also, it always complained that your mounts were not global even
when they are. I also fixed that. Should I send a patch to someone or
just send my fixed file to this list?

Thanks for the help.

-gene