emacs and large-address awareness under recent snapshots

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Aug 9 18:21:00 GMT 2011

> On Aug  9 10:23, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> Here's what I think is happening.  When temacs.exe is running during the
>>> build process (see my explanation of this earlier in the thread),
>>> malloc_init is called and _heapbase is set.  At this point, temacs is
>>> using its own static buffer as the heap, and _heapbase gets the value
>>> 0x816000.  This gets dumped as initialized data into emacs.exe, as does
>>> the value __malloc_initialized = 1.  Now when emacs.exe is run, it sees
>>> that malloc has already been initialized, so _heapbase retains its
>>> value, which is no longer appropriate.  All code relying on the BLOCK
>>> macro is now invalid.
>>>
>>> AFAICS, this has always been wrong.  But the error didn't have dramatic
>>> consequences until the heap was put into high memory.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what's the best way to fix this (assuming my analysis is
>>> right).  Would it be enough to set __malloc_initialized to 0 before
>>> dumping?  That would force emacs to reinitialize and get the correct
>>> value of _heapbase.
>>
>> No, that's too simple-minded.  I just tried it, and emacs aborted.
>> This seems like a mess.
>
> What happens if you remove the Cygwin-specific call to bss_sbrk in
> __default_morecore?

That will mess up dumping.  The point of using bss_sbrk and simulating
the heap in a static buffer is that whatever has been stored in that
buffer gets dumped into emacs.exe as initialized data.  See unexcw.c.

 > In theory that should also break, as long as
> temacs isn't also build large address aware.  The only difference,
> _heapbase = 0x20000000.  But if temacs gets build with large address
> awareness set, _heapbase should become 0x80000000.

That would make _heapbase (which is part of the dumped emacs.exe) depend
on the build system.  Obviously, as you say below, _heapbase needs to be
determined at run time.

> However, whatever you do, it will not really work.  Keep in mind that
> the large address awareness only makes sense (and has any effect!) on
> systems which provide a large address area.
>
> To me the bottom line here is, that emacs is doing the wrong thing.
> There are a couple of assumptions how a system maintains memory, which
> are just not valid on all systems.  The malloc initialization and the
> assignment of the heapbase (the first call to sbrk(0)) should happen
> in emacs every time it starts.

That makes sense to me.  I thought that was what I was accomplishing
(for Cygwin) by setting __malloc_initialized to 0 before dumping.  I'm
not sure why it didn't work.  In any case, the fix shouldn't be Cygwin
specific.  It's probably time to report this as an emacs bug.

Ken