Recent upgrade to wish leads to a problem

Robert Miles robertmiles@bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 2 07:00:00 GMT 2012

On 3/1/2012 12:07 PM, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
> "Matt Seitz (matseitz)"
>> "Christopher Faylor" wrote:
>>
>>> In the meantime, if people are piling on to suggest this because they
>>> think it will cause someone to add xinit as a dependency to something
>>> please be assured that this will not happen.
>> OK, what would cause someone to add xinit as a dependency to
> something?
>
> One reason I keep asking this question is that I don't understand the
> rationale against adding xinit.
>
> I love that Setup will automatically install the dependencies I need to
> actually use a package.  Setup failing to install a dependency that most
> users will want seems like a step backwards.  So I am trying to
> understand the rationale behind this position.
>
> One of the frustrations I used to have with Linux was repeated cycles of
> "Package A needs package B, install B, Package B needs Package C,
> install C, Package C needs Package D, etc."  I like that modern package
> managers, like Cygwin Setup or Yum make it much easier by letting me
> just say "I want Package A", and the tool automatically installs all the
> dependencies for me.
Some questions for which answers might help you understand:

Does it always require xinit, or only sometimes?  If only sometimes, why
should it always be installed even for computers where there is no need
for it?

Note - I don't have the answers.