emacs hangs when a sub-process goes defunct

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Nov 14 18:30:00 GMT 2012

On 11/14/2012 11:07 AM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
> Emacs often hangs when I save a buffer which is also tied to an svn repository.
> When I run ps I see the emacs child process 'svn' <defunct>.
> I just had a very similar situation while running ediffs. But this time emacs hung up
> with the child process 'diff' <defunct>.

When you say the buffer is tied to an svn repository, do you mean you're
using emacs as your commit editor as in the following report?

If so, it's a bug in emacs-24.2 that has been fixed upstream for
emacs-24.3.  If not, more details would be helpful.

If possible, please give a recipe for producing the problem, starting
with 'emacs -Q'.  Also, say whether you're running emacs in a terminal
or under X.  Finally, please attach cygcheck output as requested here:

   http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Ken