Parallels keyboard mapping not auto-detected in Cygwin/X

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Apr 30 11:02:00 GMT 2015

On 24/04/2015 17:20, Kai-Mikael Jää-Aro wrote:
>> On 2015-04-23, at 19:43, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>
>> On 21/04/2015 10:10, Kai-Mikael Jää-Aro wrote:
>>> I am running Cygwin/X 1.17 in Windows 7 in Parallels 10.2 in OS X 10.10, and do not automatically get the right keyboard mapping.  I get this in /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log:
>>>
>>> [  1448.048] (--) Windows keyboard layout: "A000041D" (a000041d) "Swedish (Apple) - Parallels", type 34668816
>>> [  1448.048] (EE) Keyboardlayout "Swedish (Apple) - Parallels" (A000041D) is unknown, using X server default layout
>>>
>>> The layout should be standard Swedish keyboard.
>>
>> Thanks for reporting this.
>>
>> I don't know if this layout identifier is only used by Parallels, or if you could also get it reported when using the BootCamp drivers with Windows?
>
> Ah, no idea, don’t have access to BootCamp on this machine.
>
>> I've added some code which should hopefully handle Apple keyboards for all known layouts.
>>
>> I'm not 100% sure I've got this right, and I don't have any real way to test this, so I've built a snapshot [1], and I'd be obliged if you could test this.
>
> I moved the unpacked file to /usr/bin/XWin; that is correct, yes?

Yes.

>> I'm also not sure if using the standard pc105 layout is correct. xkeyboard-config has specialized macintosh and macbook79 layouts, which seem to differ in the location of the 3rd-level shift key (what would be AltGr on a PC keyboard), so I'm not sure which of those to use.  Can you verify that is also working as expected?
>
> Yes it is.  Though it first took me a while to realise that something had reset my keyboard settings to EN, which made everything behave strangely, but once I set that back to SV, everything worked as expected.
>
> Thank you for the very prompt action!

Thanks for testing.

For future reference, how is the 3rd level shift accessed in that layout?

This change is included in X server 1.17.1-3.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer