SegFault running "ls -l" after Microsoft Patch Day

Dr Rainer Woitok rainer.woitok@gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:05:00 GMT 2015

Greetings,

last Wednesday was Windows Patch Day,  causing me to install the follow-
ing eighteen patches  (the comments  ("# ...")  reflect what I think the
corresponding knowledge base articles were about):

(KB3085549) Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites
(KB3085616) Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites
(KB3099860) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 on
            Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86
            # Remote code execution.
(KB3099869) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and
            4.5.2 on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 x86
            # Remote code execution.
(KB3104002) Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for
            Windows Vista
(KB3106614) Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight
            # Remote code execution.
(KB3108371) Security Update for Windows Vista
            # Remote code execution.
(KB3108381) Security Update for Windows Vista
            # Remote code execution.
(KB3109094) Security Update for Windows Vista
            # Kernel mode drivers.
(KB3109103) Security Update for Windows Vista
             # Privilege escalation, race condition.
(KB3112148) Update for Windows Vista
            # Time zone update.
(KB3114422) Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007
(KB3114425) Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites
(KB3114427) Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter
(KB3114431) Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack
            Service Pack 3
(KB3114457) Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack
            Service Pack 3
(KB3114458) Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007
(KB915597)  Definition Update for Windows Defender - (Definition
            1.211.2110.0)

After that and after the necessary  reboot I observed problems regarding
the treatment of  Windows Protected Sytem Files  on NTFS formatted disks
and USB sticks.  These problems  were definitely not  present before the
Windows update.  For example:

$ find /C -maxdepth 2 -type d  >/dev/null
find: './Config.Msi': Permission denied
find: './MSOCache': Permission denied
find: './PerfLogs': Permission denied
find: './System Volume Information': Permission denied
$

In the  following example I'm not  quite sure about  "$Recycle.Bin/" and
some of the other  Protected System Directories,  but "System Volume In-
formation/" definitely never showed up before:

$ ls -F /C | grep /$
$Recycle.Bin/
Boot/
Config.Msi/
Ez3D2009/
Garmin/
Intel/
MSOCache/
MappedFiles/
Microsoft/
NDPS/
PerfLogs/
Program Files/
ProgramData/
System Volume Information/
Temp/
Users/
WTablet/
Windows/
cygwin/
deskupdate.tmp/
fsc.tmp/
$

And finally, and most important:

$ ls -lF /C
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$

I then started to again uninstall patches one by one, each time checking
with "ls -l".  Nothing changed after these five patches were again unin-
stalled:

KB3109094
KB3104002
KB3108371
KB3108381
KB3109103

I then gave up,  thinking that uninstalling a  Microsoft patch might not
necessarily imply setting every bit  which was changed by the patch back
to its original value.   And even if I found  the offending patch,  this
hardly would mean  Microsoft would improve it  (after all, it only seems
to bite Cygwin).   And finally,  sooner or later I should re-apply these
patches anyway, because they are critical.

So I rather updated  my Cygwin installation,  checked whether "find" and
"ls -l" are still choking (they are)-:, and finally ran:

$ strace -o ls-l.trace ls -l /C
 510613 [main] ls 6584 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to ls.exe.stackdump
$

Having attached files "ls-l.trace", "ls.exe.stackdump",  and the mandat-
ory "cygcheck.out" below, I now hope someone can provide a patch to work
around these most recent Windows changes.

Sincerely,
  Rainer

| Rainer M Woitok                | Phone : (+49 60 93) 487 95 95       |
| Kolpingstraße 3                | Mobile: (+49 172) 813 6 831         |
| D-63846 Laufach                | Mail  : Rainer.Woitok@Gmail.Com     |
| Germany                        |                                     |