gfortran segfaults on "Hello world"

Thomas Koenig tkoenig@netcologne.de
Thu Nov 19 07:06:00 GMT 2015

Hi,

> Cygwin64 now offers a choice among 4.9.2-3, 4.9.3-1, and 5.2.0-1.  I
> have the last one installed, and in addition a recently built 6.0 on my
> Haswell laptop.  I’m fairly certain I have used the 4.9.3 successfully
> in the past.  It looks like you need to update to the current gmp and
> mpfr.  Normally, cygwin install.exe would tell you to do that if you
> install a gcc and gfortran built against those.

I just installed 5.2.0, and got the same warning about mismatched
libraries and the same segfault.

> If you really wanted 4.9.3-1 running against the older gmp and mpfr, you
> could build it yourself.

The library versions are *newer* than what both 4.9.3 and 5.2.0 from the
distribution are built against.  This may or may not be the cause of the
problem; either way gfortran is currently broken on Cygwin 64.

If your sytem is running fine, don't upgrade :-)

Building gfortran myself under Cygwin has not been a happy experience
for me in the past (although I do it quite regularly on Linux, of
course).  Maybe I'll give it a spin.

Regards

	Thomas