New cygwin install hanging on postinstall

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 07:30:00 GMT 2016

On 21/01/16 21:17, KARR, DAVID wrote:
> [...]
>>> 2016/01/21 09:19:20 note: Nothing needed to be installed
>>> 2016/01/21 09:19:20 Ending cygwin install
>>> -----------
>> So this isn't a fresh install and in fact there is not only some
>> Cygwin
>> process running but a full blown Perl that has loaded a number of
>> modules.  How'd you manage to do that before Cygwin was ready
>> installing?  Are you perhaps reporting from a follow-on invocation
>> of
>> setup.exe after the first install already failed?
> Beats the heck out of me.  I didn't have Cygwin installed.  I ran the installer.  It hung at this point.  I eventually cancelled it, because it obviously wasn't going to complete.  This output is from one of the later retries.  I never attempted to run anything installed in cygwin, I'm just trying to complete the installation.

If setup has been killed and attempted a second time, it could be that
one of the post-install scripts was left running.

>> For your current case, you need to get rid of _all_ running Cygwin
>> processes.  Best idea is to open a shell and issue
>>
>>    /usr/bin/rebase-trigger fullrebase
>>    /usr/bin/pkill .
>>
>> (you need to have procps installed for this command to be
>> available).
>> Then run setup again to have it re-do the rebase and run all
>> postinstall
>> scripts that failed before.  But I'm still interested how that
>> initial
>> failure could have occured, so if you could maybe look in
>> /var/log/setup.log if something indicates what happened there that
>> would
>> be good.
> More weirdness.  I ran a mintty window, and I ran those command lines, but it gives me lots of lines like this:
> -------------
> 2 [main] bash 28452 child_info_fork::abort: C:\cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x4D0000) != child(0x2E0000)
> bash: fork: retry: No child processes
>
> I don't believe either of these command lines did anything, but just to be sure, after I ran them I killed the window an reran setup, and got the same symptoms.

How many Cygwin packages are you attempting to install? You mentioned
that you were installing on 32-bit Win 7, so you must be installing
32-bit Cygwin. The amount of address space is rather limited on 32-bit,
so installing a very large number of packages could give the symptoms
you're seeing.

Dave.