[EXTERNAL] Updated cygwin this morning, mintty window flashes briefly and quits

Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] lavr@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Thu Jan 20 20:24:47 GMT 2022

Keith,

There should be only one of them running, unless you have multiple Cygwin installations,
then there can be per-installation instances.  Restart of all Cygwin processes was always
required (because the main DLL may not be properly replaced while it's in use by
any process) -- but a reboot usually took care of that quite well...

Honestly, this was new for me, too.  Formerly, install with a following reboot was all I needed
to do (since I'm not a power user on my work PC, that was the only way for me to "restart"
the service, anyways).  But now the reboot alone does not seem to help anymore: looks like
Win10 loads up services in a different (fast) fashion, like a wake-up from hibernate.
So an explicit restart of cygserver is now required (and now I have to ask sysadmin
to do that for me at work -- sigh).

And the problem, as I understand it, is that cygserver caches the user IDs these days.
When mintty starts up, it looks up your account, and [with new DLL in place but no restart]
it can't!  The message that shows up momentarily in that disappearing window says exactly so,
"This account is currently not available", only if we can read this fast.

No problems at home, though :-)

HTH,

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI