[bug?] cygwin cannot mount smb shares beginning with underscore; "Invalid argument"

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Sun Jan 22 19:56:30 GMT 2023

On 2023-01-22 12:21, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
> On Jan 21 11:30, Jeremy Hetzler via Cygwin wrote:
>> First, thank you for many years of Cygwin.
>>
>> I'm unable to get Cygwin to mount Windows SMB shares where the share
>> name begins with underscore. mount gives an error "Invalid argument".
>
> Yes, that's actually a bug.  The mount code path in Cygwin checks
> the path for being a share (i.e. \\server\share\... syntax)
>
> The code, which, incidentally, has only been marginally changed since
> its inception pre-2000, is expecting that server name as well as share
> name both start with an alphanumeric ASCII char.
>
> That means, right now you can't mount servers and shares starting with
> any character other than [0-9a-zA-Z].  D'oh.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/naming-conventions-for-computer-domain-site-ou

looks like embedded not initial or final "-" hyphen/minus is also allowed as
well as an initial "_" underscore like DNS names.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry