Will all SIDs fit into |SECURITY_MAX_SID_SIZE| bytes ? / was: Re: Switching groups with newgrp - how to get the new group with |GetTokenInformation()| ?

Mon Feb 26 09:20:48 GMT 2024

On Feb 25 22:04, Roland Mainz via Cygwin wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 7:57 PM Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin
> <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 24 15:38, Roland Mainz via Cygwin wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Win32/NT API question: All known SIDs will fit into
> > > the ms-nfs41-client code assumes that all SIDs use a variable amount
> > > of memory, and we always have to ask the Win32/NT API about the number
> > > of bytes to allocate. If |SECURITY_MAX_SID_SIZE| is the global maximum
> > > limit for all Windows versions, then we could simplify the code a
> > > lot...
> >
> > Yes.  ACLs are size restricted to 64K, though, but that shouldn't be
> > much of a problem usally.
>
> Erm... why ACLs? I was asking about the memory allocation size for an SID.

I know, and I wrote "Yes".

I mentioned ACLs because ACLs consist of SIDs and if all SIDs take
SECURITY_MAX_SID_SIZE bytes... well, no worries.

Corinna