passwd/group/grent fixes for Cygwin 3.5.1?

Tue Feb 27 10:16:53 GMT 2024

On Feb 27 04:21, Dan Shelton via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 at 10:18, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin
> <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 26 04:44, Dan Shelton via Cygwin wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Can these 3 commits please be backported to the Cygwin 3.5.1 branch?
> > >
> > > 4 days agoCorinna VinschenCygwin: getgrent/getpwent: avoid local
> > > enumeration...commit | commitdiff | tree
> > > 4 days agoCorinna VinschenCygwin: getgrent: fix local SAM enumeration
> > > on domain...commit | commitdiff | tree
> > > 5 days agoCorinna VinschenCygwin: passwd/group: drop Capability
> > > SIDscommit | commitdiff | tree
> >
> > Did changing db_enum in /etc/nsswitch.conf help on your test machine?
>
> Yes, just adding "local" to db_enum worked, but it is not much of a

Thanks, good to know.

> solution since I need Administrator rights on the target machine,
> which is not going to happen.

If you're not admin, why do you have to enumerate accounts?  This
is usually not an action required by standard applications.

> Why are local groups excluded by default?

Because enumerating local group means to enumerate the entire AD
group list on DCs, which is not feasible in some scenarios.  And
there is a way to configure this by changing /etc/nsswitch.conf.
If you need this on machines you're not admin of, why not just
ask the admin to enable this?

Corinna